Thermostat housing pin hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat housing pin hole

I may have made the mistake of replacing the 90 hose from the housing to the top of the radiator cap housing. It was bulging and I thought it may have been a good idea to replace. Seems I should have left it alone. I found a pin hole. I think in order to replace the entire plenum needs to come off.

Anyone have any luck with jb weld or something similar? It's on the lower right section of the photo.

Jeff
    71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

That isn't worth JB weld. That is corroded AF.

At the back end of the motor, there is a single 10mm bolt that holds that pipe to the block, near a flange that goes to a section of pipe that feeds the heater core.
    If you can access and remove that, you won't have to remove the plenums.

If you can't get one from a local parts yard, I'd try to source one from one of the facebook z31 groups. They are way more active than the forum.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I love jb weld. If you need the Z drive able, I would clean it up as best as possible and give it a try. The hole is really low, so if you do try, make sure your clamp is down far enough. I bet the clamp was directly over it on the old hose.

I agree it's corroded AF and would get a replacement ASAP.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm afraid with all the corrosion removing it may make me go farther down the rabit hole thank I want. Honestly when I was prying with a screw driver I think I'm the one who put the hole it. When I repaired my pontoon boat I used jb weld and special two part epoxy on it and it has held well. Granted it won't see the heat cycles this ever will.

zkarma, do the the two bolts that bolt the housing to the block, do they require removal of the cam shaft backing plate? I'm confident I can get at them, just not sure how far they go into the block.
        Jeff
        71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Z_Karma View Post
          That isn't worth JB weld. That is corroded AF.

At the back end of the motor, there is a single 10mm bolt that holds that pipe to the block, near a flange that goes to a section of pipe that feeds the heater core.
          If you can access and remove that, you won't have to remove the plenums.

If you can't get one from a local parts yard, I'd try to source one from one of the facebook z31 groups. They are way more active than the forum.
          Wow I went and looked at my spare motor in the garage, I think it may be easier to remove the plenum. That sucker is in there.
          Jeff
          71 240z

Datsun Jeff

Comment

When do you need the thermostat housing by? I have a spare one on my junk Turbo engine. It isn't pretty, and could use a real thorough cleaning, but it is miles better than your's.

image5.jpeg
            image6.jpeg
            image7.jpeg
            image8.jpegimage9.jpeg

It's free if you want it. It was just going to sit in a junkyard for 20+ years when I turn in the junk Turbo engine as a core. I'd rather pass it on in the Z community and it get put to use.
            1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

• Dunkine
              Dunkine commented
              Editing a comment
              That's MINT!

Wow thanks. Pm me a shipping price.
            Jeff
            71 240z

Datsun Jeff