HELP !! Fuel/boost cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !! Fuel/boost cut

Help is needed, I have done a lot of research and still can not fix this problem.
    Quick run down
    I have a 1986 z31 turbo was originally auto previous owner converted to manual and removed aircon. I am getting fuel/boost cut when ever the car hits positive boost. I have replaced all vacuum lines thinking this would be the problem. But no so
    I have done a code check and codes 13,23,24,31,41
    I have fixed code 13 with new C/T sensor and replaced the harness. Code 23 I have tested the continuity on the TPS and it reads fine I move throttle cable a little and it opens. (Do I still need to replace ?)
    Code 24,32,41 I’m not worried about as code 24 would be because of the auto to manual conversion code 32 I don’t have aircon and 41 I have after market fuel pressure gauge.
    I am lost where to go from here, all I can think is to replace the ECU but I just don’t want to be spending money for no reason. I do smell a little burning smell from ECU but apart from that I really don’t no. I re-ran codes and code 13 has gone after fixing but all others stay.
    Any help would be much appreciated

I'd 1) check the FPR and maybe just replace it, and 2) try rolling with the TPS unplugged and see if that helps (you might have a rich, stumbly idle and light backfires if you come all the way off the throttle suddenly but drive better otherwise.) If it's the TPS it doesn't have anything to do with going into boost, it's either just badly adjusted or hosed and happens to think that you're coming off the gas when you're actually dropping the hammer.

Comment

Okay thank you, new FPR on its way

Comment

Just an update I have replacedfpr and still has not solved the problem. Any ideas would be amazing

Comment

Did you try unplugging the TPS?

The thing is, the ECU has no way of telling when you go into boost (the "boost sensor" is just for the dash, the car is just tuned for the stock turbo and stock PSI), so if your issue really is related to going into positive boost there's not that many things it could be. When you hit the "cut" what does your fuel pressure gauge say? (Did a PO put that on?)

Comment

I unplugged the TPS and I still get the cut. The fuel pressure gauge is under the hood so I wouldn’t be able to tell you I’ll have to try work out a way to read it while I drive. It does not cut when just sitting in neutral only when it is under pressure (driving)

Comment

I have read spark plugs can be the problem so will be replacing them this arvo

Comment

Spark plugs replaced and still no luck. I’m so lost at this point

Comment

Stop throwing random parts and effort at it and look at one problem at a time. You think you have a fuel cut under load but you can't actually tell for sure. If your MAF, harness, and ECU are OK (don't start replacing those yet) there's only a few ways ways for that to happen, the TPS circuit, or you have a bad fuel pump that' only puts out enough pressure for light load and then you just don't have enough fuel later. The fact that there's already a gauge under the hood makes me think that the PO was trying to solve the same problem you are. When the car's cold, get someone to turn the key to ON while you watch the fuel pressure gauge. It should jump up to the high 30s PSI. Does it?
                  Last edited by FrozenZ; 08-07-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I replaced the fuel pump when I first got the car as it wasn’t working replaced with a walbro 255. I also installed a 30amp rely fuse for the fuel pump. The fpr reads 60 psi when tuned on from cold and sits at 48-50 when running

Comment

That's a bit on the high side. Could it be getting too much fuel?? What did the spark plugs look like when you pulled them?
                      --------------
                      Legal stuff:
                      **Nissan Employee**
                      Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
                      '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
                      '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
                      '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
                      '00 Corolla-- kids car.
                      '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

That’s what I thought as well after looking up stock presser so I set to stock, when vac hose is taken off presser goes up and when on wot presser goes up so all that works. But still getting the cut. The old spark plugs were black very black

Comment

Not surprising you've got black plugs and it's running like shit when you're giving it like two-thirds more fuel than stock. The z31 ECU is tuned really rich to start with so you may just be flooding out the motor when you get under load. Leave the pressure at stock and change your oil because it's probably full of gas now. Setting up something so you can check fuel pressure while you're driving will make this a lot easier. (My personal experience is that most reasonably priced aftermarket FPRs are absolute shit and are not doing what you think they are lol.)

Comment

Okay guys latest update. I zip tied my phone into Engine bay to watch the FPR. The reg shows it is not a fuel cut it builds pressure up to 38-40 psi under load then when I hit this boost cut it drops back to around 30 psi.
                            I will be dropping oil this weekend. Thank you all for your help so far. So now I no it’s a boost cut any ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brenton31z View Post
                              Okay guys latest update. I zip tied my phone into Engine bay to watch the FPR.
                              LOL. This sounds like the lead in to a bad joke...
                              ___

So, you have an aftermarket FPR and fuel pump, correct? Any other mods? Do you have a (known good) stock FPR on hand you can put in the car and check to see if it's doing the same thing?

--------------
                              Legal stuff:
                              **Nissan Employee**
                              Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
                              '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
                              '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
                              '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
                              '00 Corolla-- kids car.
                              '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

Working...
                              X