Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine throwing out smoke and runs rough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine throwing out smoke and runs rough.

So I bought this Z. I got back to a garage that I work at, changed oil, Spark plugs, and ignition wires. I try and start it up, it started but I have to hold on the throttle to keep it from turning off, and the car throws out a lot of smoke. I run it for a while the car still has smoke coming out of it. All of the bad gas that was in there is gone, I put new 93 octane gas in, 5 gallons gone after I run it around of a building twice. Now I don't know what to do. What should I do to get this motor working right?

"5 gallons gone after I run it around of a building twice." So the "smoke" is unburnt gas ? that's o2 sensor and MAF or timing or bad spark or lots of things ...
    1. get a manual ( they are online pdf files )
    2. check the codes on the ecu

also what year/model is the Z ? turbo ? non turbo ?

Comment

What color smoke, black like gas blue like oil or white like water?
      Jeff
      71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by dbruce View Post
        "5 gallons gone after I run it around of a building twice." So the "smoke" is unburnt gas ? that's o2 sensor and MAF or timing or bad spark or lots of things ...
        1. get a manual ( they are online pdf files )
        2. check the codes on the ecu

also what year/model is the Z ? turbo ? non turbo ?
        I got new plugs in, the smoke is white when I start it and when I let it run for a while.
        The car is a 1987 N/A

Comment

Originally posted by JSM View Post
          What color smoke, black like gas blue like oil or white like water?
          White smoke, I'm guessing it's oil being mixed in with the gas. But I wouldn't know how the oil would mix into the gas in the first place

Comment

Check your oil. If it’s starting to look milky it’s a head gasket. Still may be a head gasket if it’s not. Also when it’s cold, take the radiator cap off and check for bubbles as it’s runninf and look for like in the radiator fluid. Assuming the smoke is white.

Both head gaskets were bad on my car and that is exactly how it ran.
            Jeff
            71 240z

80 280zx 10th Anniversary

88 300zx Turbo, 89 300zx Turbo

Datsun Jeff

Comment

Do a compression check. It'll tell you which, if any cylinders are bad.
              --------------
              Legal stuff:
              **Nissan Employee**
              Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
              '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
              '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
              '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
              '00 Corolla-- kids car.
              '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

White smoke = burning coolant. Unfortunately, Z31s are known to have headgasket failure problems. A compression test won't always show bad headgaskets, you really need to do a leak-down test. If you don't have access to a compression tester or leak-down tester, you can try a block tester. You can get the kit from an autoparts store for fairly cheap. A block test tests your coolant for exhaust gases, which shouldn't be there if your headgaskets are healthy. Do you know the history of this car from the previous owner?
                Last edited by albionwanderer86; 11-26-2018, 07:27 PM.
                1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

Originally posted by albionwanderer86 View Post
                  White smoke = burning coolant. Unfortunately, Z31s are known to have headgasket failure problems. A compression test won't always show bad headgaskets, you really need to do a leak-down test. If you don't have access to a compression tester or leak-down tester, you can try a block tester. You can get the kit from an autoparts store for fairly cheap. A block test tests your coolant for exhaust gases, which shouldn't be there if your headgaskets are healthy. Do you know the history of this car from the previous owner?
                  I don't think Z31s are prone to blown headgaskets on a whim like cough* subarus or early production last gen Civic Type R's*.

Mistreating any car will lead to blown head gaskets. Overheating in particular.
                  Own:
                  1986 Z31 2+0 Turbo GLL ---- spearco IC ,3" exhaust, Poly everything with solid subframe and diff mounts, HX35/40 Holset Turbo, CLSD, Nistune with 1220cc FIC injectors on E85.
                  1993 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
                  Owned:
                  1995 Z32 2+0 NA Black
                  1985 Z31 2+0 turbo Black
                  1986 Z31 2+0 NA Red
                  1988 Z31 2+2 NA Auto
                  1988 Z31 2+0 Turbo White ---- Stripped for all of its goodies.
                  1984 Z31 2+0 turbo Brown
                  1985 Z31 2+0 NA Black
                  2003 Nissan frontier D22 supercharded vg33e 4x4

Comment

I agree, but I also know of countless Z31s that have had blown headgaskets... just look on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, a good deal of them for sale list blown headgaskets. Now, 90% of the reason for this is owner error, that is true. But, being that this is a USED car, it isn't too far of a stretch to think that the previous owner did the no-no of overheating it.
                    1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

So update on the 300.
                      - The car still smokes like crazy
                      - But it runs strong
                      - White smoke smells like burning oil
                      - Idle is still bad on the car, needle tends to fall when the motor get revved up
                      -Lastly, the car is staying cool, no overheating issues

Thank you to everybody that has answered on this post, I hope the people who's helped me diagonoised the problems stay until the car is finished.

Comment

-Update
                        I have given up on the car, I don't have anytime for it, the last thing I did on the car was prime it. Instead of keeping the existing motor, I thought of switching it for a used vg30.
                        Now I'm looking to sell the car, along with an 88 N/A GL that runs.
                        I'm about to buy an 88T GL a friend of mine has in the two weeks or so.

Thank you everybody for the help and anyone is interested in two N/A Z31's one that has a lot of rust, but runs with smoke and one with rust and a motor that runs strong, PM me.

Comment

Use a metal wire brush and scrape off the contacts of the distributer cap. You might want a new one and rotor eventually but that is a good test

Comment

Did you ever do a compression test? Change of fluids? It sounds like you had a bad head gasket.
                            Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                            tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                            X