Cranks but wont start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranks but wont start...

I have a 1986 300zx NA. After i replaced the fuel filter it ran for a bit but i still needed a new battery. I got it delivered to my house and it hasn't run since. spark plugs and distributer have been replaced. I tried with some starting fluid but it wont run at all. All fuses and relays are fine. I'm pretty much stuck and need help

Is it getting spark and fuel? Start with the basic troubleshooting steps. Otherwise, we can guess wrong all day long.
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

• Hikari86
      Hikari86 commented
      Editing a comment
      It does spark, ive disconnect the MAF and tried for air which is why i believe its my fuel

Welcome to the forum... it would definitely help us help you if you could give us more details. What you're describing is just the final symptom of the problem, and we need a lot more info if we're going to point you in the right direction. How much automotive repair skill do you have? Are you good at diagnostics or just a parts replacer? Google and YouTube are great if you know how to search, but this is the best place to get answers that are specific to the Z31.

For the car to run, it needs three things: fuel, fire and air. You mentioned the fuel filter... you also used starting fluid. I'd say fuel isn't likely your problem unless you've got a tank of rotten gas, but that's guessing from a keyboard. You mentioned the plugs and dizzy, which is your fire (i.e. spark). Did you replace the plug wires as well as the plugs? A single wire being bad won't keep it from running unless it's the coil wire and you didn't get it installed properly or it's completely bad. There are other elements of the ignition system that can cause you to not run... the ECU stores trouble codes, have you checked them? Do you have a shop manual? As far as air goes, the MAF can cause issues but shouldn't keep the engine from running.

That's what I can offer off the cuff... come back with more details -
    '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Got-mine-back

Comment

• Hikari86
      Hikari86 commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as automotive repair skill, Its pretty low. I only started getting into the car enthusiast scene as of not to long ago ( roughly 3-4 months ). I have worked on and eventually sold a 1994 Integra Ls but working on that was easier for sure. My diagnostic skills definitely need to improve but i feel like that just comes with time.
      I didnt replace the plugs or the plug wires. I have a buddy who has a reader and he's coming by this weekend to hook it up and see if there are any trouble codes that could maybe help point me in the right direction if it shows anything. The previous owner did mention needing to flush out the fuel lines but it ran when i went to check it out.

Code readers are great for OBD2 and OBD3... this is OBD1 and you don't need a reader. If you suspect it's fuel, disconnect the fuel line after the filter and try cranking it with the hose pointed into a container. It should expel gas. Also, pull a spark plug or 6 and take a look at those. Are they covered in soot, oil, gas, ect? The plugs can tell you a lot as to why the engine won't start. or at least point you in the correct direction. When you are cranking it, does it just turn over, or is it sputtering and trying to start?

If you haven't done so yet, download the FSM... It's free on a few sites and immensely valuable.

In my experience, it's rarely air. Usually you don't have fuel or spark for some reason.
    --------------
    Legal stuff:
    **Nissan Employee**
    Any information shared is simply my own opinion and NOT the opinion of Nissan

not legal stuff:
    '88 300ZX 2+2-- driving... just details left
    '22 Q60RS-- I tell the wife it's hers...
    '87 Chaparral bowrider-- the next project
    '00 Corolla-- kids car.
    '14 E-350-- Gotta haul those kids in something.

Comment

• mwolvinm
      mwolvinm commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, horrible plugs will definitely cause a no-start. Were they just worn, covered in soot, soaked in gas, etc. Driver side is mean on these cars for the plugs. A long extension for your socket will go a long way in helping you get them out.

• Hikari86
      Hikari86 commented
      Editing a comment
      Completely black. yeah, i have an extension and a swivel and on the passenger side its not bad. The driver side looks like its going to be hell. As of right now im really struggling to get the wires back on them though

• albionwanderer86
      albionwanderer86 commented
      Editing a comment
      open the back hatch, pull up the carpet, and see if you have the factory tool set still in the car. There is a cylindrical tube with a hex head on one end designed for changing the spark plugs on Z31s... just a head's up. I've gotten lucky with the several Z31s I've owned... only one didn't have the "spark plug changer tube" thing. Also, not to knit-pick, but Z31s aren't OBDI, they're OBD0 or pre-OBD. The only way you can pull codes is via the ECU in diagnostic mode.

Here are some pictures of aforementioned "spark plug changer tube" tool thing whatchacallit. It makes doing tune-ups a breeze, trust me.

IMG_0754.JPG
    factory tool kit / miscellaneous junk location in back hatch near driver's side compartment under carpet

IMG_0755.JPG
    cylinder tube tool in question

IMG_0756.JPG
    1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

• Hikari86
      Hikari86 commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it man! spark plug removal and install isnt that bad. Its for some reason putting my distributor wires back on that's for some reason impossible
Working...
X