Screws that go into the plenum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws that go into the plenum?

This has been an impossible find for me. The plate that has "300zx" on top of it has 6 screws that attach it to the plenum. i have an air leak and im missing 2 of those screws, when i was trying to diagnose why my Z isnt really moving, my buddy recommended to test to see if the leak was coming out from where those screws are supposed to be. I put break clean in them to test and you could hear a major difference for a second. Leading me to believe that i should REALLY find those screws that keep the top plate on the plenum. The only problem is my vocabulary is limited as i've only been a Z31 owner for just about 2 months. I do have previous mechanic experience but this is different from Honda by a mile. Could anyone help guide me in the right direction?

Should be m6 flat head cap screws. 12mm long
    Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

Comment

• Hikari86
      Hikari86 commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright, i'll try this out. thank you!

i don't think those screws go into the air cavity. did you get brake cleaner into the bigger holes down the center?

Comment

Originally posted by zachary.ard View Post
      Should be m6 flat head cap screws. 12mm long
      Yep, easily available at any local ACE hardware. They are blind holes and do not pass through to the plenum chamber though.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Come to think of it, what's the best way to remove stubborn plenum screws without damaging them? I wanted to polish up my plenum cover, but the screws are a pita to get off even with liquid wrench. They won't budge and I don't want to strip the grooves on the Philips head.
        Last edited by jdmlegends; 02-27-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Use a manual impact driver like this and this is the important bit...a #3 Phillips driver bit. A #2 Phillips is too small and often strips a stuck #3 fastener.

You seat the appropriate bit into the stuck fastener and whack the back of the impact driver with a hammer, the driver bit twists counter-clockwise with the impact of the hammer and shocks the screw loose.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

300zxpartsforyou.com I have found some small minor parts like this here. Hope it helps your search.

Comment

Working...
            X