Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Steering Pump Rebuild + VG33 Crank Fitment Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Pump Rebuild + VG33 Crank Fitment Mods.

There's the kit I bought for 13 dollars from rockauto.com when I bought my steering rack. It's more expensive here in Canada so I chose to purchase it and save on shipping as a double-packed order.
    Gates #348870 Rebuild Kit Contents:

1 x Split Lock Washer for Pulley Nut
    1 x Snap-Ring
    1 x Oil Shaft Seal
    1 x Main Housing Seal
    1 x Large O-Ring Seal
    1 x Medium O-Ring Seal
    2 x Small O-Ring Seals
    2 x Copper Gasket Washers

Here's a visual:

Additional Part Required (Choose One of the following):
    - NTN Bearing #6202LB
    - SKF Bearing #6202-RZ
    - Any Other #6202 Bearing measuring:
    ---- Height: 11mm
    ---- Inside Diameter: 15mm
    ---- Outside Diameter: 35mm

To Dis- and Re-Assemble, you need:
    - 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 24mm Wrenches
    - Snap-Ring Pliers
    - ATF / PS Fluid / Assembly Lube
    - Cotton Swabs and Shop Towels
    - Green Scoth-Brite Sponge Pad
    - Shop Press or a Friendly Machinist
    - Acid Dip of Housing Recommended

It's fairly straight forward to take something apart, and when you do take it apart, you won't have to read this guide to put it back together. So I'm just going to post pictures with short captions to explain what's going on here.

Here goes...

You'll want to start by removing the pulley. You'll have to put the pump in a vice to get any of the bolts off of this thing. They're on there good.

Once you have that off, you can remove the Snap-Ring using a suitable tool (Snap-Ring pliers) Keep in mind, I had the new bearing installed in this picture, so we're just looking at the Snap-Ring here.

Now that the snap ring is out, you can see the entire sealed bearing. This #6202 series sealed bearing is not included in the kit:

The bearing shown previously is the SKF version of this bearing that was available to me. Slightly different in construction, but it does not come in contact with any oil or chemicals.

The seal below is the original Nissan one that was removed. The new gates one is supplied in the kit and is the same. Without removing the bearing, it's anybody's guess as to where it would go. I had my machinist press it out for me, and install the new bearing and the new seal. The Seal goes in FIRST, then the bearing pressed in after. This is why it doesn't matter what the constrution of the bearing is like, as long as it's relatively the same and the recommended use is virtually for the same type of load, which the SKF one is.

This guide will not show the seal as installed because I had it pressed in for me by my machinist. But you get the general idea. Just don't try and hammer it out. It won't fly out that easy. After replacing the bearing, the shaft is noticably tighter and it moves very smooth. It should not whine or make noise now.

Here is the Nissan sealed bearing for comparison. It is shown beside the copper gasket washers to show its relative size and NTN Part Number.

raxs.com/share-6F6A_4AF51913.html">

Turn the pump around to expose the inside. At this point, you should have removed everything from the inside. Actually, you should have done that before cleaning it. Before final assembly, you'll want to use a Green Scoth-Brite Sponge Pad to remove the rust from the case mating surfaces. It's usually only the outside of the gasket that gets rusted anyway, but just do it and be safe.

You will see there are no seals here.. Just the splined shaft that was pressed in with the bearing.

So the large and 1 of the small o-rings will go in now. Apply some of the recommended lube at the top of this guide, and make sure you're applying it to a clean pump housing. The lube will suspend dirt, and that's not a good thing for pumps. Install the seals like so:

You may be thinking... The small o-ring doesnt look like it goes there. It does. It is pushed down by a piece that goes in on the next step. It only feels weird because the old o-ring was compacted into shape and stuck on the housing. These o-rings just rest on the lower lip. They do not sit on any groove. They sit on a rounded step/ledge.

So now you take the lower pump plate and the spring that goes underneath it:

Give it a good cleaning and lubing, and first slide in the spring like so. You can lube the base of the spring to be extra cautious. I chose to do so. (This photo displays the o-rings quite well too incase it wasn't clear):

Then you can lube up the sides of the lower plate and slide it in next. Pay special attention to the notches in the sides for the location dowel pins that come in a later step. Just get them close, or use one of the dowels now to align it if you feel it's easier at this time. The piece is symmetrical from one half to the other, so you do not need to re-align the dowels to any specific orientation other than "lined up"

Lube up the upper impellar casing on the inside, and the outside. The outside does not move but lubing facilitates installation and removal or spinning to locate the dowels.

Notice the N is facing "up", away from the front of the pump (not actually up in the picture). This is how mine was taken apart. I also put the "N" back in the same spot, closest to the dowel it was removed from. You can look at the back of the pump case to see where yours was. You can also install the dowels there too now, if you like:

Here is what the impellar gear/drive looks like. It has small vanes/fins that get forced out through hydraulic pressure. They in turn, compress and force fluid through the small jet in the pump that acts as a restrictor to build up extreme pressure. This gear/drive was installed with the the "S" marking facing down against the lower plate. My theory is that the "N" may have been for "North" as in "up" when looking at it from the top down, as a person rebuilding it would be doing.

Below is a close up of the two edges you will find in the impellar vanes/fins, or whatever they're called. They are rounded on side. As stated per the FSM, and as seen during dis-assembly... The rounded side is the side that touches the casing. It's the outer tips of the "star" formation that they create, so to speak.

Here's how they install:

Here is what they look like all installed with the gasket layed over-top: Pay special attention to the teardrop in the bottom of the gasket that uncovers the hole that the fluid is pumped through. Basically the tear drop is on the same half of the threaded hex fitting, and the hole is on the same half of as the bracket mounting bolt hole.

There is one last seal inside the hex-fitting area where the pressure orifice is. I could not remove the hex-fitting, so I will have to give it another go tomorrow. In the following picture, you can remove the hex-fitting at the top with a 24mm (I think) wrench. It's on there tight and the second small o-ring will go between some spring contraption and it's seat (that's what the FSM says, I haven't opened it up yet).

The picture also shows where the medium size o-ring gasket goes. Right at the inlet- the hole with the bolt hole just above it (and below it, but not shown).

That's basically it. use the FSM for torque specs or just torque it till it's very very very tight because the original bolts took a long-bar to remove. I'm going to be holding the case together with the original bolts to spray it, then I'm going to be using new bolts to close it all up. Pretty easy to do if you have a couple of hours. Takes about 1 hour TOPS if you're cleaning everything and not replacing the main oil seal or the bearing, which you most likely don't have to do, but hell, I'm there.

And if anyone is wondering about what mods were done to allow it to fit the VG33ET using the 87 Z31 bracket:

Measure + Grind. It's about 10 - 15 mm of grinding on the boss where the bolt goes through. You can then move it forward and you must space out the rear of the pump with a washer or a ground-down nut. Don't forget to make another one of those spacers for the tensioning bracket as well.

I'll answer any questions as they're posted.

Careless wrote:
    And if anyone is wondering about what mods were done to allow it to fit the VG33ET using the 87 Z31 bracket:

Measure + Grind. It's about 10 - 15 mm of grinding on the boss where the bolt goes through. You can then move it forward and you must space out the rear of the pump with a washer or a ground-down nut. Don't forget to make another one of those spacers for the tensioning bracket as well.

I'll answer any questions as they're posted.
    So your combo is
    villager crank pulley
    Z31 PS bracket
    villager PS pulley(?)

The PS pump i've picked up from a 4x4 pathfinder had a larger diameter pump shaft, hardly negligable maybe ~.5mm..

Comment

Damn good pics
      1uz Swapped, lowered, flaked out '86 z31
      '72 Datsun 510 4dr, ka24de-T, slammed resto mod
      '84 z31 turbo, coils, wheels a.k.a the gfs weekend car
      '86 na2t parts for now a.k.a eventually will get running with a/c daily
      '83 280zx project backburner a.k.a ls turbo drag car one day
      Custom vg30et tube chassis drift exocet project

Comment

D300 with the kit lense from the D3000 that my dad just bought. I rather like that lense. Good minimum distance.

88sinZ wrote: So your combo is
        villager crank pulley
        Z31 PS bracket
        villager PS pulley(?)
        - 99 Quest Crank Pulley (Maybe same as villager, can't say for sure).
        - Z31 Power Steering Pump with a centimeter or so ground off of the bracket-bolt boss (V-rib 87 Pulley)
        - Z31 Power Steering Bracket

The bracket is unmodified. I may need to push the bracket forward, or I may need to replace the entire lower coolant pipe with a hose instead. I think that's what I'll do if I must, as the coolant pipe looks like it may be too close to call it a comfortable install.

I'll be trying to replace the seal tomorrow and do a test mount. I believe the 87 Z31 Alternator belt may actually work too.

I will also be replacing all the belts when I work up the money to buy a Z32 Twin Turbo ALU pulley and get it balanced. I may need to again move it forward about 5mm.

Raff

Comment

Hey Careless,

I might have missed this b/c I was just perusing your post, but is the villager pulley larger than the Z pulley?
          Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

The villager/quest pulley is small 5 rib starting from the block-side (back), and has two large pulley's of the same 5 rib size on the front side.

the front most pulley has about a 4mm space between the one in the middle.

The Z31 W-series pulley has one small in the front and two larger ones behind it.

The Z32 Twin Turbo pulley seems to be the same orientation as the Z31 W-Series pulley, but it has the 32mm crank snout that the VG33 boasts, so it may be an upgrade for VG33 crank users like myself.

Comment

Outside diameter is the same?
              Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

TODD03412 wrote: Outside diameter is the same?
                not entirely sure.

As i remember the 350z alternator and stock water pump pulley working with my standard z31 alternator/water pump belt... and it now works with the new quest pulley.

The Z31 has two equally (or closely) sized rear pulley rows, and a small forward pulley row.
                The Quest has a Z31 sized rear pulley row, but two larger front pulley rows.

The Z32 seems like the Z31 pulley, but with the VG33 snout diameter. I just bought two belts this week. 430 and 440. Either will fit, I just need to mount them.

Comment

Ok. Updating this thread. just finished putting power steering onto my VG33ET finally.

So here's what has to be done.

NO coolant pipe mods. I just had a broken bolt in the alternator bracket so I used a VG30ET exhaust manifold washer to keep the bolt out about 3 or 4mm from the alternator bracket.

The coolant pipe goes on exactly as it would on the VG30ET.

So this means the ONLY thing one must do to get the VG33 to go RIGHT into a Z31 with VG30ET parts is to use all z31 parts where you can:

water pump and pulley
                  oil pan (slightly modified)
                  pickup tube slightly modified
                  upper intake
                  lower intake
                  thermo housing and piping
                  lower coolant pipe
                  upper timing cover (may not be neccessary)
                  exhaust manifolds
                  power steering head mount
                  power steering adjustment bracket
                  alternator block-mount
                  alternator adjustment bracket with z31 mounting bolt and 1 inch (or so) spacer to line the bracket up with the alternator.
                  turbo parts and oil lines (check for oil feed once you remove the plug)
                  flywheel, clutch, etc.

The Quest/VG33 parts I used are:

Cylinder Heads
                  Connecting Rods
                  Pistons
                  Engine Block
                  Crank & Crank Pulley
                  Oil Pump with VG33 Pathfinder Oil Filter Adapter
                  Retained the Block Heater element and the Knock Sensor in the cylinder valley to use as plugs.

modifications to the power steering pump are as follows:

grind just about 3/8ths of an inch off the top pump mounting hole where the head-mounted bracket receives the bolt to hold/swivel the pump. (see pic in previous post with detailed close-ups)
                  put a 3/8ths worth of washers or a spacer... one behind the pump where the mounting bolt goes through to push it forward, and one behind the adjustment bracket to line it up with the pump.

take a 4 Rib 420 to 430 size belt length, and use a new exacto blade to cut one rib off the entire circumference of the belt. If you do it carefully you can barely tell it has been done (and consequently, you can perhaps return it without them knowing if you use a belt that's too long the first time around, like i did).

I recommend going with a 420 belt rather than the 430 I have. This will allow you to tension the belt properly and have thread on the adjustment rod left over. I am maxed out on the adjustment rod, so I can see myself getting a new belt when this one starts squeeling. I have about two or 3 turns of the adjustment rod nut before it's not going any further.

ALSO, one last note... when trying belts, remember that you MUST remove the bolt that goes through the adjustment bracket and bolts into the adjustment rod, or it will touch the coolant pipe (now that the entire power steering adjustment assembly has been moved forward). If you remove the bolt, it will swing behind the coolant pipe, then you can push the belt on and then push the pump back and have someone hold the pump up tight or block it with some wood or a wedge of somesort so you can use both hands to put the bolt back through the adjustment rod (which should now clear the lower coolant pipe).

It's very hard to select a belt that's too small because it will either not fit right, or you are pushing too hard on the pump to get it on tight, and thus, it will be putting stress on the line going from the reservoir to the back of the pump. DO NOT force it or remove it to find a smaller belt, as you would never be able to thread the adjustment rod bolt back in and tighten it properly to avoid the belt from coming loose.

DO NOT mess this up. Flying belts can cut your lower or upper hoses or slash them to the point where pressure will kill them off when you start getting a lot of heat through the block and generate a lot of pressure in the cooling system.

Get it right, and it will work. So far so good. I'll update as time passes.

(and don't rag on me for cutting a rib off the belt, they do not make 3 rib belts that are longer than 390 or so I've been told... or I can't find them. and cutting the belt was something I was weary of, but after doing it... it looks just like any other machine would have cut it anyways... so :P to you if you'ze a hater! I GOTS POWER STEERING. WOOT WOOT)

SOOOOO that brings an end to my accessory mounting and VG33ET stock-fitment build up using the Quest crank & pulley unless I decide to add Air Conditioning back into the mix. Essentially it's no more difficult than a NA2T conversion if you choose to go that far, and these engines are much more available nowadays in my location rather than the NA or VG-T engines that our cars came with.

Thanks to everyone for your input and patience, and let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

any chance you still have these pics? dead links
                    http://www.z31performance.com/forum/...365804#p365804

Comment

Im also interested in this. Been eyeing the rebuild kit lately

http://www.utahzclub.com

Do you type by throwing chopsticks at a keyboard that is spinning or something?

Troll, troll, troll your post, Gently down the feed. Merrily, merrily troll along, A life is what you need!

Comment

i would have to scrounge them up. a little busy atm.

will see what I can do.

Comment

I'm using ACL bearings and was wondering are there any pros and cons to using this aftermarket style vs oe style. The ACL brand has holes within the oil groove whereas the OE style does not have any.

ACL (what I have):

OE style:

Another thing, the machine shop put some type of lube/rust protecter on the bearing surfaces on the crank. Do I need to remove the stuff prior to plastigaging?

The oil splash guard hangs over the bore of the cylinder now. Is this ok?
                          rear:

the front doesn't:

What the shop did for the balance:
                          Looks tacky: :-?

Shelly - 93 Pathfinder
                          VG33 conversion in progress
                          4x4 conversion complete

Comment

Careless wrote:

- 99 Quest Crank Pulley (Maybe same as villager, can't say for sure).
                            same exact thing. Same motor.
                            My Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                            X