85 z31 NA Brake help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 z31 NA Brake help

I am finishing up my 85 z31 before I get my license, I bought new brake calipers and drilled and slotted rotors, we bled all the lines from right rear, left rear, right front, and left front about 10 times, after that we went to take it for a ride and the brake pedal was still very squishy? I just ordered a new master cylinder should that fix the squishy brake pedal? And should I bench bleed the master cylinder or can I just put it on and start bleeding?

keep pumping the brake and it should firm up

Comment

• 85_z31
      85_z31 commented
      Editing a comment
      After I put the master cylinder?

• nickvance
      nickvance commented
      Editing a comment
      depends, if its not leaking no need for one but if you have it might as well put in on and pump it by hand until it returns to a springy condition then use your foot

Ok thank you very much

Comment

you sure you didnt flip the calipers to the wrong side the bleeder screws have to point up.
      Hmmm, Whats next?
      Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Comment

• 85_z31
        85_z31 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah we did that at first lol but we flipped them where the valve is up

left rear is actually further away from master cylinder than the right rear, start with that one first, then do right rear, right front, left front. The way the lines are run it is a longer distance to left rear. Also, mine we also spongy for a while, but after driving it around and using the brakes for a few days the pedal got nice and firm, so suspect air pocket worked its way out up to the master.
      Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

Comment

• nickvance
        nickvance commented
        Editing a comment
        ^ I would bleed it when its on the car

• 85_z31
        85_z31 commented
        Editing a comment
        So I bolt it on just fill it up with brake fluid then bleed it like I normally would? And its dot 3 brake fluid correct?

• nickvance
        nickvance commented
        Editing a comment
        yes but use DOT 4 it works better in my opinion

if you want to bench bleed the master, put it gently in a vice, run rubber hoses up from the outlet ports back into the reservoir, fill the reservoir with fluid and push on the piston until you don't get air coming out of the hoses anymore
      Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

Comment

• 85_z31
        85_z31 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok thanks so much we are almost done with the paint, which will be done this weekend so I will do that this weeknd before I get my license next week. Thanks

post a pic of your Z31 i want to see it with fresh paint

Comment

• 85_z31
        85_z31 commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do, the bottom half is red and the top is black, I'm trying to find 4 lug wheels for it right now, I found 17x9 with a 15 mm offset I'm just worried about the fitting on the front , they should with the offset they have, on thezshow they have 17x9 with 24mm offset that is a direct fit, what do you think?

• nickvance
        nickvance commented
        Editing a comment
        they should fit

i've got a pair of front 5lug late model N/A hubs if you're interested. cheap cheap, i'm running late turbo hubs now and have no use for them. Fresh bearings and seals.

if you want to keep 4lug a 17x9 +10 (F) and -5 ~ -10 (R) is what you should aim for, unfortunately this is going to severely limit you to huge spacers or hunting super rare, expensive wheels.
      Last edited by 88sinZ; 10-20-2016, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• 85_z31
        85_z31 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a 1986 300zx na parts car but thanks the reason im not switching is i bought drilled and slotted rotors for the 4 lug, but the wheels are for a 240sx 4x114.3 and says that they come out evenly to the fender, the reason i like these so much it they are only for the 4x114.3 bolt pattern not the universal
    Working...
    X