Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering

Ever since I bought the car the steering has seemed odd to me, sort of unsafe. There doesn't seem to be much "play" in the steering so that if I move the wheel barely left or right the car moves too much.

Is there a way to adjust the "play" in the steering? Also it doesn't seem to align itself to center as easily or quickly as it should when turning without my own help.

I have replaced the rack and pinion and one of the steering rack bushings, it as all new poly bushings all around, new springs, new shocks... but still I have never been happy with the way it steers, in a way it doesnt feel safe. Also the car has been aligned. Is there a way to adjust the play in the steering?
    Last edited by sp3cialfx; 10-21-2016, 08:35 AM.

There is an 8-pointed star type nut on the gear housing section of the rack that you can use to do some adjusting. I believe you can use the 1/2" drive end of a ratchet to turn it.

I didn't care too much for the steering on my Z. It always felt like the car was "floating" if you know what I mean. But then again the tie rods and ball joints were worn. So, I've gone to a depowered manual streering rack that I have yet to test out. So, we'll see how that goes. I would check out your other components too like: sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie rods (if you didn't already get new ones), etc.
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

Comment

That part on the rack only adjusts pretension on the pinion and will not effect steering ratio. Be careful you can make it to tight to where the wheel will not auto center while driving but will stick where you turn it.

Comment

Originally posted by V8srfun View Post
        That part on the rack only adjusts pretension on the pinion and will not effect steering ratio. Be careful you can make it to tight to where the wheel will not auto center while driving but will stick where you turn it.
        My bad. Yeah, you're right.

I'm actually not sure how or even if you can adjust the play in the steering.
        Shiro #93
        Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

Comment

Working...
        X