No announcement yet.

Welded Diff Ops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had one on my toyota. welded it with 7018 welding rod. i melted the spider gears to the case. it worked great. never broke, and i didn't even mind it on the road. it saw more street action then off road. but i didn't mind.

it will wear the tires out a little faster. just rotate them more often.

and when you take a tight corner, your inside tire will skweek a little.

they are pretty easy to drive too. if you can't drive one your a big baby. and you shouldn't even think about putting a locker in.

if you can't handle it in the rain your an idiot. keep your foot off the pedal. i drove mine all the time in snow and rain. never had a problem unless i wanted to.

Comment

Welded DIFF OPS

Well... I welded mine and it isn't that bad...you will notice the above mentioned issues...I haven't been able to really hammer it {saving up for a DXD clutch}

But, far as those mini spools go WOW that is alot of money for just a little spool...
      A couple of hundred bucks...ouch that is just too much...

Not , when I can get ford 8.8 posi for 100 bucks or ford 9" for 200-300 bucks

I would love to stay only nissan but, come on now...
      88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
      87T 2+2 auto,stock

Comment

Re: Welded DIFF OPS

DMANN wrote: Well... I welded mine and it isn't that bad...you will notice the above mentioned issues...I haven't been able to really hammer it {saving up for a DXD clutch}

But, far as those mini spools go WOW that is alot of money for just a little spool...
        A couple of hundred bucks...ouch that is just too much...

Not , when I can get ford 8.8 posi for 100 bucks or ford 9" for 200-300 bucks

I would love to stay only nissan but, come on now...
        and you'll spend twice that getting a ford rear into the car, come on how exactly?

Comment

Diff ops

Well, that's the fun of fabricating!!!
          88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
          87T 2+2 auto,stock

Comment

I'm NOT going to ever put anything else Ford on my Z, the 18" Bullitts can stay.. 8)

As to not clog the forums up..
            1. I'm getting ready to get the front suspension squared away, the Haynes says to use a "light duty oil" in the strut housing.. WTH?! what should I be using? Any suggestions?
            2. When installing the poly busings in the front control arms they get hooked up and stick out about 1/8" I've tried a bench clamp but they just wont budge and that little bit is juuust stopping me from sliding them into the cross member, what methods have been used to get these little shits in?

Comment

88sinZ wrote:
              1. I'm getting ready to get the front suspension squared away, the Haynes says to use a "light duty oil" in the strut housing.. WTH?! what should I be using? Any suggestions?
              the oil for replacement strut inserts is just to help make contact with the tubes for better cooling and corrosion protection, some people find they have a bitch of a time getting their struts in lubed because of the lack of air but I didn't have a prob..... I left about 4" of fluid at the bottom and slid the strut in, I could see the fluid wasn't far from the top by squishing the strut against one side

88sinZ wrote:

2. When installing the poly busings in the front control arms they get hooked up and stick out about 1/8" I've tried a bench clamp but they just wont budge and that little bit is juuust stopping me from sliding them into the cross member, what methods have been used to get these little shits in?
              probably the grease is in there and the sleeve is preventing it from releasing ..... remove the sleeve and compress again....

did you wire wheel or anything the inner surface before attempting the bushings?

Comment

Well I sent the front and rear arms to finish pressing them in and the tension rods to get the old bushings pressed out at a local shop thats done a cuple small jobs for me, the people are knowledgable, nice, and prices are fair.

Yes I cleaned up the sleeves.

Also got the diff all cleaned out, GAWD did it smell awful! Nice and caked too, a can and 1/2 of brake cleaner to get it un-gunked.. I picked up some Lucas 80w-90 fluid the Nissan dealer suggested, and ordered the seals. They will be sitting around till I can set up a time with a bud to weld up the diff. :P

Comment

Working...
                X