swapping a vg30et into a z32. have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swapping a vg30et into a z32. have some questions

well the thought of doing this crossed my mind as i was working on the vg30de < Not fun sometimes.

anyways, one of the major issues it the clearence of the intake.
    http://machzracing.com/300ZXT/VG30E/VGE%20Z32%2013.jpg
    http://machzracing.com/300ZXT/VG30E/VGE%20Z32%2012.jpg
    http://machzracing.com/300ZXT/VG30E/VGE%20Z32%2011.jpg

im trying to think of ideas to get the intake to clear, as its the only real thing standing in the way of the swap.

thanks in advance for the help guys.

maybe a cowl hood?

Comment

i kinda want to avoid a cowl hood, i just hate the way they look.
      if i cant find a solution then i might have to do that, but......

Comment

Lower the engine with shorter motor mounts? Mill off some of the LIM and plenum you have? re angle the throttle body so that it comes down a bit lower? Im sure if you did all those you could get away with a little scoop instead of a crazy cowl.

Comment

The thought of shorteneing the plenum crossed my mind. has anyone tried this, or any thoughts on doing this?

also do any of the other gen maximas have a shorter LIM?
          i know the s12( 200sx) one will help a bit.

Comment

Sheet metal intake? Can shorten LIM at the same time. and bring the throttle body down at a differern't angle.

Originally posted by StreetFighter
            I don't build my car to keep up with some jackass with more money than me. I build my car because it's never enough, and I want more.
            "Front wheel drive is for the feeble." -Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

I stumbled across some custom intakes on another site. Could be g good step in the right direction. I'm looking at how to shorten the lim atm as well, anyone done this?

Comment

I think by shorting they're talking about milling off the top?

Comment

^ yeah. I wonder if a snubbed lim would hinder performance significantly. I can see this is gonna take some brainpower.

Comment

There was a member on NICO who did this. I can't remember his name though. I think it was about a year ago but could be wrong.

I would go wtih shortening the motor mounts. You can lower the engine 1.5" in a z31 by doing this.
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

im looking for info on nico now. but if you guys got anything id appreciate the help.

Comment

i read about the z32 trans swap onto the vg30e. The person(s) doing this used a tt trans, i have an na trans, I dont think there is much difference though.

another place i asked mentioned using the z32 tt crank in the vg30e(t) to help with the trans swap so that you could just use the tt clutch and flywheel.

i was reading on going from 30e to 30et. Im assuming since this is going in a z32 i wont need any of the body mounting parts associated with this, or more directly put, i just need the plumbing, manifolds, turbo, and associated hoses and that.

Comment

try shorter motor mounts and a Z31 upper plenum/intake.

Are you using the Z32 or the Z31 transmission?

How does the shifter line up if you're using the z31 transmission?
                          Shiro #443

Comment

z32 trans.

i dont have a z31 trans to testfit. into the car so.....

Ill have to research on who makes mounts that are shorter than stock.
                            someone mentioned to me using the 3rd gen maxima intake. I might go full custom if i cant find a solution though.

the buildup of the engine itself is gonna take a month or two. i think i have already found a bare block so let the games begin.

Comment

there are some z32 motor mounts on ebay. The seller says he can make them whatever size you need
                              Shiro #443

Comment

Working...
                              X