Water/ alcohol (Methanol) write-up

SATAN wrote: Why are people not just using washer fluid? It's cheap and IS actually METHANOL and not ethanol. Methanol cools a LOT more than Ethanol does. This is why a turbo charged car running Methanol does not use an intercooler. Because it gets the intake temps TOO COLD if you do.
    The reason is washer fluid is NOT always 50/50 mix, and if you tune for a 50/50 mix it can screw things up pretty fast; not to mention there ARE sometimes additives in it that are NOT good in an engine.

I think most brands vary from 30% to 40% methanol content.

[quote]maverickxeo wrote:
    Originally posted by SATAN
    Why are people not just using washer fluid? It's cheap and IS actually METHANOL and not ethanol. Methanol cools a LOT more than Ethanol does. This is why a turbo charged car running Methanol does not use an intercooler. Because it gets the intake temps TOO COLD if you do.
    The reason is washer fluid is NOT always 50/50 mix, and if you tune for a 50/50 mix it can screw things up pretty fast; not to mention there ARE sometimes additives in it that are NOT good in an engine.

Like what? What chemicals are in washer fluid that are "NOT good" in an engine? If washer fluid is 30% meth, does that mean the rest is water?

If that is the case, wouldn't going and buying JUST 100% Methanol be the best solution? Then you can mix it however you want and you are getting the cooling benefits of actual METHANOL and just just ethanol. Both alcohols cool your intake charge, but methanol cools substantially better than ethanol does.

Also, Crusherbait has a 10 second Dodge Colt that he obviously has good experience running just washer fluid as he mentioned. I'm not saying you are wrong, but what is in the washer fluid that is bad. Can you go off of how cold the fluid is good to in order to determine it's methanol content?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=maverickxeo]
    Why are people not just using washer fluid? It's cheap and IS actually METHANOL and not ethanol. Methanol cools a LOT more than Ethanol does. This is why a turbo charged car running Methanol does not use an intercooler. Because it gets the intake temps TOO COLD if you do.

Like what? What chemicals are in washer fluid that are "NOT good" in an engine? If washer fluid is 30% meth, does that mean the rest is water?

If that is the case, wouldn't going and buying JUST 100% Methanol be the best solution? Then you can mix it however you want and you are getting the cooling benefits of actual METHANOL and just just ethanol. Both alcohols cool your intake charge, but methanol cools substantially better than ethanol does.

Also, Crusherbait has a 10 second Dodge Colt that he obviously has good experience running just washer fluid as he mentioned. I'm not saying you are wrong, but what is in the washer fluid that is bad. Can you go off of how cold the fluid is good to in order to determine it's methanol content?
    From what Ive read, they sometimes have glycol in the mixes. The main reason though not to run washer fluid is because of the mixture. It is rarely constant; and a 50/50 mix is ideal in terms of cooling and octane.

I personally run 50/50 meth/water (I buy 100% meth and mix it myself); its not expensive either; I got 20L for $27 I believe.

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=maverickxeo]

From what Ive read, they sometimes have glycol in the mixes. The main reason though not to run washer fluid is because of the mixture. It is rarely constant; and a 50/50 mix is ideal in terms of cooling and octane. Ive heard you *can* go off the temp rating on the washer fluid, but again, its not always constant. Lower temp = more meth, but also a chance of more glycol.

I personally run 50/50 meth/water (I buy 100% meth and mix it myself); its not expensive either; I got 20L for $27 I believe.

I found the turbomirage site a while back and planned on doing meth injection on my Z later on because I don't care for my intercooler setup. Looks like you beat me to it though. Nice work.
    Tinker Toy Equipped

So I just wanted to update on the AFR's Im getting with methanol. I am using a fairly large nozzle (Cooling mist has it set for 400HP), and very low fuel pressure right now. At boost (15PSI on NA2T) and with timing set at 10 Degree advanced over stock, I am sitting at about 11 for an AFR. 94 octane fuel from Husky, and no detonation/pinging/knocking.

Noob question, but you NEED to change your AFR in a methanol injection setup?

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

xbxrxtorquex wrote: Noob question, but you NEED to change your AFR in a methanol injection setup?
    I dont think you NEED to. In my wideband guide (that came with the wideband) it has AFRs for all sorts of fuel setups, and it shows that meth injection SHOULD be around 10 or so at WOT.

So technically, if I was to run the stock AFR (whatever the actual number is), then would I risk detonation at 15 psi with meth injection?

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

No, you can adjust the injector of the methanol injection kit according to the pressure / flow you need.

There's lots of information about methanol injection on the net, just read more and you should be able to answer all your question.

It's pretty simple & easy.

Haven't done it yet, but it's what I plan to do soon

''And at the end of the day you have a Mitsubishi. It's like masturbating with your own tears.'' Neit86T

My second Shurflo pump appears to have failed. I tested my 12V power all the way up to the pump with my Fluke but, it's not working.

I started this set-up with a 60 psi. Shurflo pump. I then found a good deal on a new 100 psi. Shurflo pump on E-Bay. I sold the 60 psi. pump

here to a Z31 member (Don't remember who) but, was immediately informed by the buyer that it was DOA. Of course I refunded his money and

thought nothing more of it. Well now that this pump has failed I'm going to buy a Coolingmist pump that I know will hold up to the methanol. I

thought the Shurflo pumps would be fine witth a 50/50mix water/ alcohol but, don't think so anymore. They are about $100 on e-bay + shipping.
    Everything is Meaningless.

BTW, after a little digging I found that the Shurflo pumps WILL work fine as long as you use the one with the EDPM seals instead of Viton seals.

If you go this route make sure that you get this model number in the 12 Volt pump from Shurflo 8000-912-288.

I believe I have that same pump… it always works.

IMPORTANT UPDATE-
    I installed my new Coolingmist pump with EPDM seals and was thinking "I'm glad this is finally over". I like having reliable stuff that works.

I had this nagging feeling that something more was going on, so I opened up the old Shurflo looking for failed Viton seals on my second pump.

I'm glad I liked tearing things up as a kid to see how they worked. No such failed seals. In fact, the seals looked perfect
    . If you look at the first

pic of my pump install, splashed water is making it's way up to top of the pump during rain periods, and running down into the guts causing rust.[attachment=2:23p0cr9u]Shurflo.jpg[/attachment:23p0cr9u]

So, I'm gonna make a cap to fit on the top of the pump so that splashed water will run off to the sides.

Let's say I fill up the entire stock washer bottle with a 50/50 mix. If I'm on the track at WOT most of the time, how long till all of the mixture is used up? I have been considering it, but it almost sounds like it's only useful when at the dragstrip or autocross.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)