Refresh

This website z31performance.com/forum/z31-performance-upgrade-forums/driveline-aa/1280-smell-from-rubber-insulator-on-shifter-assembly-solutions is currently offline. Cloudflare's Always Online™ shows a snapshot of this web page from the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. To check for the live version, click Refresh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...solutions?

Anyone else have this problem? On road trips, when a mass of heat rises from under the car and hits the rubber insulator on the shift assembly for a long period of time, a smell starts venting.

I've removed it completely before. The smell goes away but heat and sound now enter the cabin. Is there some sort of spray I can nail this rubber piece with to keep it from spewing a smell when it gets heated?
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Re: Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...soluti

Signal 12 wrote: Anyone else have this problem? On road trips, when a mass of heat rises from under the car and hits the rubber insulator on the shift assembly for a long period of time, a smell starts venting.

I've removed it completely before. The smell goes away but heat and sound now enter the cabin. Is there some sort of spray I can nail this rubber piece with to keep it from spewing a smell when it gets heated?
    Man! I had that same problem when I pulled mine out, cut it down and welded it back up. AHHH THE SMELL!!!! /vomit. Dont know what to tell you though. Pull the shifter burn out all the rubber heat insulator stuff and then weld it back together? thats what I did when I shortened it.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

im not 100% shure in the difference of the FS5R30A to the FS5W71C but i know the 71C has a little vent at the top, possibly hot trans smell? time to change the trans fluid?

Comment

Re: Smell from rubber insulator on shifter assembly...soluti

Signal 12 wrote: Anyone else have this problem? On road trips, when a mass of heat rises from under the car and hits the rubber insulator on the shift assembly for a long period of time, a smell starts venting.

Nothing that a ZipTie can't fix. As long as the rubber boot and steel plate that install from the interior side are in good shape, just add a little sealant to make an absolute seal from the rubber to the chassis and a ziptie on the shifter shaft portion of the rubber to make a good seal.

I have had cars with next to nothing left for the actual boot sealing from the shifter to the transmission. Following what I am advising solved any smelling issues. What was left in regards to the silly boot for the shifter to the trans was merely a dust cover and not enough to get a ziptie on for locking the rubber boot to the tranny. No harm other than vapor/smells easily exiting.
        Dan
        I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
        X