No announcement yet.

The Long-Awaited (by me at least) NA build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeleriousZ wrote: Interesting choice on the 10.8:1 pistons, keeping the compression low-ish for reliable daily driving as well or?
    That, and whats a 510 weigh? 2000lbs? If that?
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

Very nice. How long before you get to run it?
      ...and how much HP do you have at 0 boost

Comment

ZFast88Z wrote: Ignoring the nice NA buildup for a second to say, I absolutely love Mercedes Benz workshops.
        Yeah. Clean, brite and freaking AIR-CONDITIONED!!!!!!!!!! Outside temp 100+, inside temp 75

No plans to run it on the bottle. At least for now.

Hope to drop it in thursday night. I am going on vacation for a week, It will be August before it runs.

Comment

DeleriousZ wrote: Interesting choice on the 10.8:1 pistons, keeping the compression low-ish for reliable daily driving as well or?
          I picked 10.8:1 for a few reasons:
          I had an L23 with somwhere around 11-12:1 that pinged like a mother and I just got sick of it.
          California gas is crap.
          It is a daily driver, although i do have the POS FX-16 to commute in now.
          I did the math for the compression calculation. It could be wrong. Its an 11cc dome. I figured if I erred in calculation, I'd rather err on the conservative side.
          VG30 combustion chamber shapes are less than ideal.
          I bought the pistons before the Shell station down the street from my house started carrying E85.

Comment

a22770 wrote: The build looks great! What are the tube sizes, lengths, collector sizes?
            I think the length was around 32" could be wrong though. Tubes are 1.5", 1.625" (1 5/8"?) and 1.75"

Comment

That should work perfect for 6100 rpm hp peak, assuming you are in the 260 hp range ( +/- 10hp).

Comment

that looks sweet but be careful you dont burn your fingers on the header when you change your oil filter :-)
                white 88t vg33 with t3 and alcohol progressive kit from cooling mist (its an auto though)
                red 88 2+2 flinstones style

Comment

vince wrote: that looks sweet but be careful you dont burn your fingers on the header when you change your oil filter :-)
                  i doubt he'll be changing oil filters with the engine hot enough to do that, and mechanics gloves and a filter wrench make it a lot easier anyway :P

Comment

[quote]Careless wrote:
                    Originally posted by vince
                    that looks sweet but be careful you dont burn your fingers on the header when you change your oil filter :-)
                    i doubt he'll be changing oil filters with the engine hot enough to do that, and mechanics gloves and a filter wrench make it a lot easier anyway :P
                    These things FTW.

Only problem is I need a smaller one to aid in servicing the tiny tiny hyundai oil filters at work, most of the time I just use these:

Comment

look at the shot-glass sized Micra/March K10 filter, since we're Nissan based here.

benz-tech... you have pics of your 510?

Comment

vince wrote: that looks sweet but be careful you dont burn your fingers on the header when you change your oil filter :-)
                        There is a good chance that I've been changing oil filters longer than you've been alive. Thanks for the advice, though. :-D

The only pictures I have are on this site and on a memory stick somewhere. I'll have to take a few once its running again. I have different wheels on it now

http://www.510garage.com/photos/display ... 227&pos=75

http://www.510garage.com/photos/display ... 227&pos=74

Comment

you.... you're the guy.

you bought BART from Ronnie T? :snif

Comment

I don't believe so. This car was originally from Bend Or. None of the previous 3 owners is named Ronnie. Same engine bay pictured on teamthump.com- it was 90's splatter paint at the time. Had to change that!

Comment

Loving your Headers very nice work,

I have shared your pain in regard to putting in large engine into a cramped engine bay,

I installed a 1UZ-FE Lexus V8 into an e30 BMW for a buddy of mine, Tail shaft of the gearbox was scraping the concrete floor and the engine hoist was scraping along the roof. Did it all on my own though.

Any pics of what its going into ?

Keep up the good work.
                              85 Turbo Slick Top
                              __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

benz-tech wrote: I don't believe so. This car was originally from Bend Or. None of the previous 3 owners is named Ronnie. Same engine bay pictured on teamthump.com- it was 90's splatter paint at the time. Had to change that!
                                Ah nevermind. Almost identical car.
                                Funny enough, also from Oregon. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X