Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before I Order: Simple CM Exhaust Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I Order: Simple CM Exhaust Questions.

I want to get the Stainless Dual tip because I dont have time to make my own exhaust. I'll do a Vband conversion later by having someone modify the unit later.

As for the Turbo-back CM Exhaust with hi-flo cat...

1) fitment is near perfect, yes?
    2) Anyone else install the dual tip and have pics at the rear bumper?
    3) Do I need to buy any type of hanger or apparatus that does NOT come with the kit?
    4) Are there any things that are required for install (tools not included) that need to be purchase for installation?
    5) Some say 3 inch exhausts always smack around over the subframe simply because of room... Does anyone have a remedy for this? Heat wrap the exhaust in that area to provide pliable cushioning?
    6) How does the dual sound? Not really a fan of the single tip can. At least not on my car right now.

Reason I ask is because parts chains/stores are closed at 12:00 Noon on Saturdays, and Sundays basically closed. It would suck for me to attempt to install the exhaust and not be able to finish come Monday because stores are closed, and then have to order parts for Tuesday.

Looking to order today. Want to eliminate any clogged cat or exhaust back-up problems before tackling things like removing the turbo altogether.

I can't speak for the dual-tip part of things since I ordered a single-tip 3" turbo-back, but for the rest:

1. Fitment was near perfect. The only thing I didn't entirely like was how close the tip sat to the bumper, it angles up a hair and almost touches it. Everything else bolted up perfectly fine.

3. There was no extra hanger or anything needed to install. I believe I could not get the exhaust close enough to the factory hanger tab that attaches to the body by the subframe, but I have had no rattling issues and the pipes are still rock solid in place. Tabs on the muffler utilize the stock hangers.

4. Nothing should be needed for installation, unless you do not have the nuts/studs for the turbo's o2 housing where the down-pipe bolts on, as they do not provide those with the kit.

5. I haven't had any issues with the pipe smacking the sub-frame. Once I got all of the sections bolted in the piping was pretty stiff in there, and I have yet to see or hear any evidence of it rubbing or hitting the suspension, and I've had it on for...maybe 6 months?

86T GLL

Comment

Fits fine, all of the hangers lined up for me, but I don't have one of CM's mufflers. Exhaust doesn't hit the subframe...
      - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

I had the cm dp and HFC with an MSA catback. As stated, no extra hangers needed (you will end up eliminating stock one's you don't need). As for hitting the subframe, it knocks mine sometimes. Very light scratching on the metal from a bolt, but I just need to redrill the mounting hole and put it up another 1/2 inch. I only hear it rattle very softly at Idle. It's all about the install though on how it sits on the subframe.

Things you need:

PB blaster. lots if your exhaust hasn't been off.
        I would put a new crush washer in to seal between T3 elbow and downpipe
        Other than that nothing else really.
        Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies doods.

Anyone know the part number for the T3 elbow to downpipe crushwasher/gasket?

Comment

I want to say its this one http://www.courtesyparts.com/20711-gask ... 86388.html

Comment

that's not a part number, chris.

Comment

20691-Z31001

Comment

Chrisw_2003 wrote: 20691-Z31001
                  Thats not a Nissan OE part number, its courtesy's modified part number. If you call your local Nissan dealer and say 20691-Z31001 they'll call you a moron and hang up the phone, only Courtesy's search system can recognize that, I assume they do it to keep you buying there rather than just using them for PNs.
                  - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

[quote]michaelp wrote:
                    Originally posted by Chrisw_2003
                    20691-Z31001
                    Thats not a Nissan OE part number, its courtesy's modified part number. If you call your local Nissan dealer and say 20691-Z31001 they'll call you a moron and hang up the phone, only Courtesy's search system can recognize that, I assume they do it to keep you buying there rather than just using them for PNs.
                    or you could call nissan and direct them to where the part is? hmmm every time I have called my nissan dealer with a part number from courtesy they were able to find the one I was looking for, sounds like your parts dealer is pretty inept

Comment

[quote]Chrisw_2003 wrote: [quote=michaelp]
                      Originally posted by Chrisw_2003:2az3cp6z
                      20691-Z31001
                      or you could call nissan and direct them to where the part is? hmmm every time I have called my nissan dealer with a part number from courtesy they were able to find the one I was looking for, sounds like your parts dealer is pretty inept[/quote:2az3cp6z]

+1 I quote Courtesy's parts number. They use the same diagrams at the Dealerships if you didn't know. Either the first or last set of numbers is the number the dealership has.
                      Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

[quote]Chrisw_2003 wrote: [quote=michaelp]
                        Originally posted by Chrisw_2003:1qg1nkp0
                        20691-Z31001
                        or you could call nissan and direct them to where the part is? hmmm every time I have called my nissan dealer with a part number from courtesy they were able to find the one I was looking for, sounds like your parts dealer is pretty inept[/quote:1qg1nkp0]

He never said anything about calling and asking for the gasket, so I don't know why you're making up stupid reasons to insult the dealer :-/
                        He specifically mentioned calling and using the part number, which you seem to have though is a real Nissan part number. Have you ever used Nissan FAST? Try putting the courtesy number into the system.

IT
                        DOES
                        NOT
                        WORK.

Anyways. I asked for the OE Part number.
                        If no one has it, then I'll look in fast later tonight.

Comment

Chrisw_2003 wrote: I want to say its this one http://www.courtesyparts.com/20711-gask ... 86388.html
                          Further research shows that it's not even for a Turbo car either.
                          Finding that same gasket in FAST system shows that it's an NA gasket, and furthermore, it's not even available...

20010Z which is suplemented as 20720-N2226 is
                          SEALANT-JOINT,EXHAUST TUBE

20711 which has no applicable part number is
                          GASKET-EXHAUST

So it looks like nissan uses exhaust sealant to make the connection to the DP unless there is something different in the Fiche.

Comment

sent you a pm

Comment

Just in-case it happens to matter, when I took off my factory down-pipe there was no gasket present, and it didn't even look like there was sealant on either side of the connection. All I got with the new exhaust was the big ring with tapered ends that sits between the down-pipe and o2 housing openings, didn't use any gasket or sealant and haven't had any evidence of exhaust leaks.

86T GLL

Comment

Working...
                              X