No announcement yet.

300zr engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not the lack of cams that is the draw back IN MY EYES. Its the lack of valves and the lack of adjustability. It is possible to do everything the same with sohc (if it had 4 valves) as dohc. However to make ANY changes (Beyond retarding or advancing the whole cam) you would HAVE to get a whole new cam. With DOHC you just have more options to work with.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

But if you hit 9's and possibly better then what does all that matter?
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

because with the same work in a more efficient engine, you'd hit low 9s, high 8s
        Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Comment

[quote]zed-031 wrote: [quote=SATAN]
          Originally posted by zed-031:1d2f5
          If you were redesigning the Z31 from the ground up and had the choice between the VG30ET and the VG30DET, which motor would your run and why.
          I would run the DET simply because of the fact that you can taylor your LSA the way you want with out having to buy a different grind to do so, You have a higher redline, and you dont have to upgrade all four cams at once. You have more options to play around with. 'Try this on your exhaust cams or try this on just your intake cams. Try this lobe seperation angle, oh that went the opposite of how I wanted well, then try this way. OH you cant because you only have sohc? man that sucks. Well I guess make the best of what you can then.'
          We can pick up VG30DET half cuts in Australia for US$1500. Comes with gearbox, ECU, loom and MAF.[/quote:1d2f5]

here, you can modify the engine in the car for more power than the DET for less than $1500 :lol: :wink:

Comment

RobP3ZXT wrote: because with the same work in a more efficient engine, you'd hit low 9s, high 8s
            Well it's not exactly going to work like that if you include the cost of the motor and everything required to make the swap is it?

Comment

you're not really seeing my point.

if both motors are doing the same work, the more efficient one will be superior, I don't mean from a money or labor involved sense, but more the acual work being done by the motor.

both motors with the similar setups beyond the heads the dohc will come out on top, imo.

of course, with the money, and time it would take to do this swap, you could easily build a very badass vg30e, but we're all here to play with our big toys, so which ever you choose to power it, is all up to the owner.

Comment

[quote]casner wrote: [quote=zed-031][quote=SATAN]
                Originally posted by zed-031:8577f
                If you were redesigning the Z31 from the ground up and had the choice between the VG30ET and the VG30DET, which motor would your run and why.
                I would run the DET simply because of the fact that you can taylor your LSA the way you want with out having to buy a different grind to do so, You have a higher redline, and you dont have to upgrade all four cams at once. You have more options to play around with. 'Try this on your exhaust cams or try this on just your intake cams. Try this lobe seperation angle, oh that went the opposite of how I wanted well, then try this way. OH you cant because you only have sohc? man that sucks. Well I guess make the best of what you can then.'
                We can pick up VG30DET half cuts in Australia for US$1500. Comes with gearbox, ECU, loom and MAF.
                here, you can modify the engine in the car for more power than the DET for less than $1500 :lol: :wink:[/quote:8577f]

Well if ones turbo is screwed and requires a rebuild and ones auto gearbox is as equally screwed the DET becomes a good option :P

Comment

RobP3ZXT wrote: you're not really seeing my point.

if both motors are doing the same work, the more efficient one will be superior, I don't mean from a money or labor involved sense, but more the acual work being done by the motor.

both motors with the similar setups beyond the heads the dohc will come out on top, imo.

of course, with the money, and time it would take to do this swap, you could easily build a very badass vg30e, but we're all here to play with our big toys, so which ever you choose to power it, is all up to the owner.
                  Oh I get your point and I'm not disagreeing, but when ISN'T money and labor involved in doing an engine build? lol

Comment

haha, so true.

which is why I plan to do my vg30det swap way, way later in life, for now I'll just build the foundation of a beast I've already got.

Comment

Have just organised a VG30DET engine package to be sourced from Japan for me. AU$1200 buys engine, gearbox, ecu, loom and airflow metre

Should arrive end of June/early July. Bring it on

I've been put onto a guy in Adelaide over here in Australia that has just done the swap on his factory turbo Z31 and he said it was dead easy.

Comment

Easy is one thing, time consuming is what costs money! Oh well just throw money at it like usual! :P Just prey nothing goes wrong with it after the install is complete, because if it does you're screwed lol

Comment

300zxt wrote: Easy is one thing, time consuming is what costs money! Oh well just throw money at it like usual! :P Just prey nothing goes wrong with it after the install is complete, because if it does you're screwed lol
                          hahahaha I knew that would stir you up :P

Comment

Hehe, well I just dont want your whole cash saving endeavor to come back and bite you in the ass. Get REAL familiar with that engine, infact it wouldn't hurt to hunt around for some JDM doods on the Aussie 300zx forums and leech their brains for info. You'll cry if you have to get any major work done to it after you have the swap done, and being JDM it's going to up the costs again paying people to do the work for you.

Comment

zed-031 wrote:
                              Well if ones turbo is screwed and requires a rebuild and ones auto gearbox is as equally screwed the DET becomes a good option :P
                              How does that make it a good option? turbos and equipment for a 5speed swap are easy to track down, and won't put a hole in your bank account. For some reason, that makes purchasing a used engine with an equally used turbo and transmission for 3x more than you would pay fixing your stuff, then spending all the money and labor and fabrication to get it into the car. Not to mention if anything is wrong with any of the equipment when you get it.

Now, when you could use the same amount of money, with less time/labor fix your car, and put it in the 12's... I'm not seeing how this makes it a DET a "good option" just because your turbo and auto transmission are on their way out ( like alot of z31 owners ).
                              1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

300zxt wrote: Easy is one thing, time consuming is what costs money! Oh well just throw money at it like usual! :P Just prey nothing goes wrong with it after the install is complete, because if it does you're screwed lol
                                Doesn't cost any money if you do it yourself, even if it's time consuming. It also doens't hurt to work at a Nissan dealership and have access to all kinds of crazy tools, not to mention employee discount on parts, like me :lol:

My Z's been sitting in one of my stalls at work going on 2 months now, because of having to wait on performance parts to be delivered.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                                1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                                2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Working...
                                X