X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARP-Main ... enameZWD1V

$156.69
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
      Originally posted by mario88ss
      well I couldn't find any info on how much torque to give the ARP head studs. Sow I put them at 75 using the ARP assembly lubricant.
      Thats a lot. You are supposed to reduce the amount of torque when using different lubricants. The torque specs that are givin are allmost allways while torqing with a dry bolt or stud which you should never do. Allways reduce the torque accordingly with the lube you are using.

Also ARP studs are designed to streatch and the stock bolts are not. Somthing Dweezil forgot to mention but i'm sure he knew.
      Diden't cross my mind when I was posting, but your right, it's why they recomend useing a torqu/angle guage where possible.

Comment

Sow what's to much, and what's to little the stock bolts go at 54 to 64 ft-lb if I have them at 75 ft-lb now with ARP should I torque them down to 65. OR IS IT TO LATE
        1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

Well nothing broke, so that good, but if you go back now your probebly going to need new head gaskets from crushing yours. Did you torque them dry or with some lube?

Comment

mario88ss wrote: Sow what's to much, and what's to little the stock bolts go at 54 to 64 ft-lb if I have them at 75 ft-lb now with ARP should I torque them down to 65. OR IS IT TO LATE
            I didnt say it was too much, I just said it was a lot. You should do a google search on torque specs for different size ARP studs. Or you can call them and tell them what you have. I would run what they recomend because the stud it designed to streatch a certain amount to provide the correct amount of tension. I dont know what the amount of torque is to get it to streatch appropriatly.

Comment

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
              Originally posted by jn1cz

how about just using the long studs? it'd give you the nice studded head ability of laying the gasket on and then sliding the head down into place.

and not be as hard to clean around the next time you have to change gaskets.

not to mention 1/3rd the cost.
              Any consensus on whether there's really much benefit in this? Doesn't seem like the clamping force would be improved much overall and isn't there dowels to hold the gasket in place while installing the heads?
              Stock bolts can streach under extream load causing either the head to lift off the deck and eventually burning the gasket out, or the gasket firing ring can distort and just go. The studs are stronger than bolts and prevent that from happening.
              Thanks for the reply Dweezil.
              Sorry for manipulating the quotes but it was getting out of hand. What I wanted to know is if anybody thinks there would really be enough benefit in just using the ARP long studs along with the other stock bolts. Seems like one way or the other would be best.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                Sow what's to much, and what's to little the stock bolts go at 54 to 64 ft-lb if I have them at 75 ft-lb now with ARP should I torque them down to 65. OR IS IT TO LATE
                I didnt say it was too much, I just said it was a lot. You should do a google search on torque specs for different size ARP studs. Or you can call them and tell them what you have. I would run what they recomend because the stud it designed to streatch a certain amount to provide the correct amount of tension. I dont know what the amount of torque is to get it to streatch appropriatly.
                I'm going to call ARP tomorrow Monday and ask them. any ways I already did it, is it to late to re do it.
                Satan did you use stock head bolts....I now Jason84NA2T, Rick88ss ,and stevez31 used ARP head studs maybe did could post here at how much did they torque them at.

Comment

[quote]mario88ss wrote: [quote=SATAN]
                  I'm going to call ARP tomorrow Monday and ask them. any ways I already did it, is it to late to re do it.
                  Satan did you use stock head bolts....I now Jason84NA2T, Rick88ss ,and stevez31 used ARP head studs maybe did could post here at how much did they torque them at.
                  Yeah I used the stock bolts. They work great. Although next go-round i'm prolly gonna grab some new bolts or maybe do studs.

Comment

mario88ss wrote: I'm going to call ARP tomorrow Monday and ask them. any ways I already did it, is it to late to re do it.
                    I used only ARP main and rod studs, which are listed in their catalog and on summit. I also always re-use stock head bolts and torque them to 50lb/in. I would never buy ARP head studs unless I had money to burn, but I priced them out for the sake of others here. The fact is nobody under 700hp seems to have any head gasket problems when the engine is tuned correctly using a good quality gasket.

Comment

Just finish talking with ARP regarding the torque on the aluminum heads with this studs and they toll me to torque them at 60 lb/in with ARP assembly lubricant or 70 lb/in with 30W oil.

Comment

Working...
                      X