no power steering swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, for those who don't get it...

manual steering equals direct mechanical linkage from hand to ground meaning more sensitivity to what the car is doing.

power steering is a hydraulic system...you are no longer connected from hand to ground so less information is reaching your fingertips and is instead being absorbed by the hydraulic system.

our power steering racks have a steering ratio designed with power steering in mind. Remove PS and things get difficult.

Removing the belt or whole system is a compromise and a preference.

Using a manual rack from the SF model Z31 or another vehicle will give the pro's listed above with out the cons.

Now which one of you Canadian's is going to sell me one?

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

craZed wrote: I wounder if an s30 rack can be made to work?
      You'd have better luck from an early S130.

You guys don't realize how good you have it. You don't want this! :lol:
      1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
      '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
      "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

Benedict wrote: ok, for those who don't get it...

manual steering equals direct mechanical linkage from hand to ground meaning more sensitivity to what the car is doing.

power steering is a hydraulic system...you are no longer connected from hand to ground so less information is reaching your fingertips and is instead being absorbed by the hydraulic system.
        Power steering is a direct mechanical connection, too. I have raced cars with and without ps. I will take ps on any car with big sticky tires and medium or more weight. I consider 3000lb medium weight. Driving a stripped out 240 with no ps is ok, but not a 300 with much wider tires and more weight. As I have also driven z31's with and without ps, I can say that controlling one through a drift or making corrections on the track is much easier and controlable with ps.
        Chuck Stong
        300+ Parts and Performance owner
        http://www.300-plus.com
        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Autocross slaloms are a bitch with my car.
          1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
          '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
          "I drive an S30...your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"

Comment

While I also agree PS is a must-have for all conditions on a 3000lb+ car, I don't believe SF models came with manual steering. They did come w/o ac and with steel wheels and lighter manual crank windows (though the one I saw the manual windows seemed very hard to roll up/down) Can anyone in fact actually confirm they did or did not from with PS?

Comment

i'm sure i've seen pictures on 88hybrid of the engine bay of one. i don't remember seeing any power steering.

Comment

Working...
              X