No announcement yet.

no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as spark when you did the prw-2 swap Did you switch the Green/white wire with the black wire

For your fuel issue open up the ecu and see if it is burnt I had a similar problem and had a burnt fuel circuit

Comment

Yep. Wires were swapped. Seems like spark is there now. Fuel pump is definitely pumping. Still no starting.

Comment

Is your distributor installed correctly? It will only work in one exact position when installed.
        http://z31performance.com/showthread...2-2-(-now-NA2T
        My build thread (:

Comment

Something I noticed today in comparing engine bay harnesses is that the original harness has only 3 relays on the fusible link side. The green efi relay, black uphold relay, and the Orange safety relay. The one from my other car has a blue relay, uphold relay and what looks like a small control box. Could this make any huge difference?

Here are the differences, 1st harness being the one from my running car (which wont turn the starter over), second being the harness from this particular car.
          Both harnesses offer the green and orange relays, however the first harness which show the group of 3 together, is not on the original harness.

Comment

There are differences in the harness from year to year. 84-85 harness has less relays. You should gives us more specifics about the car etc.
            Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
            if it fails, fuck it.
            at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

The car is an 87. Originally an automatic NA. Swapped in 5 speed trans, and built turbo engine. Have finally got spark from coil and its getting to the plugs. However, i am still getting codes for Ignition Signal. Fuel pump works but will not prime. ECU does not get power without crossing wires in efi relay.

Comment

Check ignition circuit from ign switch to efi relay

Comment

Check if all the other electrical systems work. All wiper functions including intermittent, light, defogger etc. Unplug the TCU and see if the interior light goes away. Check pins 107, 109, 112,113 for ground. Connect your DMM to the coil and check if it gets 12V from the ignition switch.
                  Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Comment

Will an 87 run on a harness from previous years?

Comment

Not earlier than 86
                      Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Comment

well I have to imagine the harness that was in the car was the factory harness meaning it was from an 87. The relays I show in the first picture make me think I need to make this harness work but I am unaware if there is gonna be a driveability difference between the two, depending on which one I can get to work. I will be checking for grounds on those pins shortly and will post back with results, but since these pins seem to be related to the FICD, would that be part of my issue? I have to figure out this ignition signal problem and fast. Tired of waiting to hear this thing run and all i have left is wiring problems.

Comment

I have a 87NA2T/AT2M along with a spare 87 and a 85 EFI harness, if you need pics or to compare voltages let me know. I have three running Z'z so verification shouldn't be difficult.
                          Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Comment

Well after swapping in the known working 87 engine harness, it wouldnt even turn over. I scanned over it and see some wiring issues in it so I swapped the original one back in. Turns over again, injectors pulse, but once again back to no spark. Will get the spark back this evening as ill have some daylight when I get home. I will probably need you to check your harness for comparisons as I move forward. Also going to check compression. Rings were installed according to factory procedure so dont think Ill have an issue there, but its not hard to check. Once I get spark from coil back, I will make sure I have spark at the plugs.

Comment

SPARK IS PRESENT AT BOTH COIL AND PLUG. Definitely have good spark too. I might even be sterile now. So I have spark, can smell fuel being emitted so now its down to air I am guessing. The engine does choke though like its getting too much fuel. The fuel lab regulator is set at base pressure which is in the 35-40 range i believe. Have to verify. It turns over good and smooth for a bit then gets to a point where its struggling, almost like its getting flooded, then kicks back to smooth turning for a bit. I am getting scared I have an issue with compression however. ANYTHING else I should look for before doing the compression test?

Comment

Pull plugs and smell them for fuel or oil, then do compression test. It dosent take to long and at least you can rule out an internal problem
                                you said it smells like it is getting fuel check for fuel in the fpr vacuum line, I've had one lockup an engine before

Comment

Working...
                                X