No announcement yet.

blew the engine again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

better alloy pistons with maybe an extra cooling ring would help a lot without getting into fancy machining

but the real answer is gearing, changing the ratios or the diff to lower the rpm

Comment

G-E wrote: but the real answer is gearing, changing the ratios or the diff to lower the rpm
      There's not a lot he can do besides the final drive ratio... and even then I don't think the available gearsets go much taller than 3.3:1 or so, do they?

Maybe an adapter bell-housing deal with a T56?

Comment

in germany the final drive (defferential) of the early 85-/86 turbo-Modell is 5% longer, that would bring another 8mph. Maybe i will do that in the furture.

I took my z31 home an our ago, runs fine again, but i have to take it easy a little while because of new the bearings....

thats record for me, from engine blow to run again with next engine: 9days :-)

Comment

Dino wrote: thats record for me, from engine blow to run again with next engine: 9days :-)
          I beat you... 6 days and 19 hours for mine after the flywheel issue. That includes having to tear the "new" engine out of the donor car.

Comment

either one of you wanna come over and work on my Z? LOL
            I just dropped off the VG33 that was in my SS at the machine shop for an autopsy. Hopefuly it's noting too bad and I can get it running soon.
            Shiro #443

Comment

Now it was time to verify how long the engine can stand topspeed. Very very late at night i went on the autobahn an held the speed at 278km/h (286 on speedo) at 16psi and rev limiter @6600. After 3 minutes i felt a power loss and smoke in the rear mirror. I will get off the heads soon to verify the damage.
              I think I need a reliable knock detection.
              :lol:
              what a load of crap!
              I know that a z31 would not do that kind of speed!
              My freind has one and its quicker than mine and the most weve seen is around 190-200 kmh. and that was at around 6000 rpm.

Unless its extensively modified anyhow. But 275 Kmh is still hard to beleive.

And if you did reach that speed, and held it at that rpm for that long Im suprised you didnt throw a rod. I think you will be needing more than just "reliable knock detection" if you plan on anymore 3 minute pulls like that.

Comment

William86Turbo wrote:
                what a load of crap!
                My freind has one and its quicker than mine and the most weve seen is around 190-200 kmh. and that was at around 6000 rpm.
                Dont be stupid.
                The turbos are governed well passed 200kph.
                Sounds to me that your buddy dont know he has a 5th gear. LOL
                imagination is a virtue

Comment

Rick88ss wrote: either one of you wanna come over and work on my Z? LOL
                  I just dropped off the VG33 that was in my SS at the machine shop for an autopsy. Hopefuly it's noting too bad and I can get it running soon.
                  Is this for the 'blowby' problem?

my money's on a ~.020 "ding" in one of the cylinder walls.
                  vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                  2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

No. It's the engine I put in the SSback in April or May. You're thinking about my maroon NA2T
                    Shiro #443

Comment

I would definitely install an oil cooler. Check (or calculate) the duty cycle of the injectors. Might even want to flow test them to make sure they are good. I road race on a stock motor at 10-12 psi (have been for many years on same motor), and never have a problem. Not 16, but I think the motor should be able to take it if not detonating or running lean. What are your coolant temps?
                      Chuck Stong
                      300+ Parts and Performance owner
                      http://www.300-plus.com
                      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

William86Turbo wrote:
                        :lol:
                        what a load of crap!

Unless its extensively modified anyhow. But 275 Kmh is still hard to beleive.

And if you did reach that speed, and held it at that rpm for that long Im suprised you didnt throw a rod. I think you will be needing more than just "reliable knock detection" if you plan on anymore 3 minute pulls like that.
                        My friend has '84 turbo. He has taken picture of speed of 280kmh (true speed is maybe 20kmh+ lower). That car has half the mods Dino have.

Forged rod can take pretty much beating.

I have pure STOCK and i have run 222kmh in 1.6km airport runway. (True speed 202kmh by police radar)
                        http://mediarace.fi/speedparty2005/t...=Tulokset20041
                        43 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Z31 '88 Jukka Kivinen
                        Jukka Kivinen - Europe / Finland - '88 Turbo 2+2 Targa
                        Datsun Nissan Sports Cars of Finland
                        http://www.z31turbo.com / http://www.z31na.com

Comment

I would assume Euro Z's would be close to JDM Z's and those speeds are SO possible. My 86 is an automatic and I've had it at 260kph/160mph before with a fair bit left to go and my engine internals are 100% stock at the moment, but I got scared I'd run out of road so I backed off haha...
                          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

collant temps were ok i think, stock gauge needle did not move up, but i do not know exactly because i did not have my Nistune-laptop with me and activated

oil cooler is planned

injector duty could be near max because i use stock fuel pressure, but i watched my AF and it was in the low 10th.

@william86turbo
                            look at my video in this little vid how persistent the needle reaches 260km/h on speedo (according to gps i have a deviation to the gps of 10km/h)
                            http://web6.privy.de/download/Dino_150-250_5.gang.wmv

info to speed numbers:

E36 m3 3,0 (286hp), delimited = 267km/h
                            E36 m3 3,2 (321hp), delimited = 276 km/h
                            E39 m5 (400hp), delimited = 292 km/h
                            Porsche GT3, 380hp = 306km/h
                            Z32 with 370hp (chip, exh. filter, 14psi) = 280km/h

Jason for exampel could pass the 300km/h with his level of power

btw, Jason, my 5th gear is 0,76. You have 0,71, that would be good for me too but i doubt German models had that version.

Comment

the nismo catalog might still have the 3.54 diff gear listed.... you could try that

Comment

For that kind of use I would say a quality oil cooler is a must-have along with the use of good synthetic oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X