Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XTigga, you can go to a VG30 computer, and run NisTune.

it will require significant EFI/Wiring, re-pinning of the ECU plugs, and some hard component swaps - it is possible, but it is a lot of work

Comment

• Just a quick question for anyone who has done a VG33 swap into their Z31. I have recently purchased one from a '98 Pathfinder, and I've been trying to rig up a way to do a compression test on the engine before I tear it down and do a rebuild for boost. The issue I am having is with a Z31 starter lining up with the flywheel. I am using a stock VG30E flywheel, bolted to a stock VG33E block, mounted on the starter bracket that bolts to the side of the engine block. I can't seem to get it to line up, though. It seems just a hair off. Has anyone else had this issue? When I get back home, I'll take a picture to show what I'm talking about.
      1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (building)

Comment

• Originally posted by albionwanderer86 View Post
        Just a quick question for anyone who has done a VG33 swap into their Z31. I have recently purchased one from a '98 Pathfinder, and I've been trying to rig up a way to do a compression test on the engine before I tear it down and do a rebuild for boost. The issue I am having is with a Z31 starter lining up with the flywheel. I am using a stock VG30E flywheel, bolted to a stock VG33E block, mounted on the starter bracket that bolts to the side of the engine block. I can't seem to get it to line up, though. It seems just a hair off. Has anyone else had this issue? When I get back home, I'll take a picture to show what I'm talking about.
        All of the accessories and mounting brackets on a Pathfinder are on the opposite side from what you need.

If you are going to try to find a way to reuse your Z31 accessories by machining the crank, it doesn't matter. Otherwise you are about to find yourself spending a few months buying lots of cheap brackets and accessory parts and paying a load for shipping. I paid as much for my parts and shipping as I did for my JDM engine.
        ~Joe (not a mechanic!)

Comment

• I am going to swap in a VG30E crankshaft and camshafts, so accessories aren't an issue. I will be using a VG30 water pump, alternator, p.s. pump, etc. It has been done without any complications, just read Texas_Ace's post. My question pertains specifically to the starter. I believe either my starter bracket is slightly bent, or just needs a spacer or something to put it in the correct position.
          Last edited by albionwanderer86; 03-19-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• I used my VG30e starter and flywheel on my VG33e Pathfinder engine. It just bolted on there.
            ~Joe (not a mechanic!)

Comment

• I'm thinking the issue is with the mounting bracket itself. The second bolt hole is currently empty, as the threads in that hole on the block are a bit buggered. I think once I clean them out with a tap, I should be able to mount up everything properly.

IMG_0407.JPG
              IMG_0408.JPG
              IMG_0409.JPG
              IMG_0410.JPG

Comment

• Dunkine
                Dunkine commented
                Editing a comment
                When I used to do this with chevy V8's, I would use the bell housing to bolt the starter up. Course they had carbs and I could actually start them on the ground.

• albionwanderer86
                albionwanderer86 commented
                Editing a comment
                I finally got everything to line up decent enough, it required that second bolt being installed and some slight tweaking. I'm fairly certain my mounting plate is a bit bent, or maybe the VG33 block is just ever so slightly different in the casting. Nonetheless, I still wasn't able to do a compression test. The battery I was jumping the starter off seems to run out of juice before I can really spin the engine up to starting rpms. I'm going to hook the starter up to a running car battery one of these days when I get a chance to see if I get any better results.

• Dunkine
                Dunkine commented
                Editing a comment
                Hurry up if it's got a 30 day warranty, want to have a chance to get it back if it's dead in a cylinder.

• So... quick question. Has anyone installed an oil bypass valve on the VG33? I ordered one from Nissan, and tried to install it in mine... it did not go according to plan. I damaged the part, and then had to obliterate it trying to work it back out. Does anyone know the proper "installation" technique for this? Fortunately, the part was only like $6 at the dealership.

Comment

• legit bro, you been breaking shit left and right.

this might not be for you

yo u got questions PM me, ill drop my # if you want to text questions

Comment

Working...
                X